I think I’d like to add traveling to my hobbies. Wouldn’t it be great to just get up and go anytime, anywhere? Since many of you will be traveling this summer, I’d like to sum up the list of travel tips that I’ve shared with you this week.
(Each link will take you to the original post on that topic.)
1. Stretch your dollars by comparison shopping on many of the well known travel websites like expedia, travelocity and tripadvisor.
*Many times, you can get the best price on airfare on Tuesdays. Be willing to fly into alternate airports and/or have connecting flights. Also be prepared to fly at non peak hours.
* My sister and niece were in London, England recently. They were privileged to have someone in their group who had once lived in the area. He was able to steer them away from the tourist traps on the itenarary and guide them to some of the local hot spots.
*There were several times on our trip that I hesitated to be such an obvious tourist by taking pictures of the attractions. Now that we’re home and have had a chance to look at our vacation pictures, I’m so glad I didn’t let my inhibitions stop me.
4. Pack smart
5. Plan ahead
*Book flights approximately two months in advance.
*Make reservations for hotels, rental cars, popular attractions, and parking well in advance.
*Make an intenary so that you can take advantage of all the town has to offer. If you have a large party with varying interests, be willing to go your separate ways for sightseeing.
6. Be Proactive in Protecting Your Home
*Make arrangements for someone to take care of your home, plants and pets.
*You can call the post office to stop mail while you’re away. A pile of mail, or newspapers in the lawn, is a tell-tell sign that no one is home.
*Take advantage of vacation watch services through neighborhood watches or local law enforcement.
*Install a timer on lamps to turn on and off during usual times.
*And lastly, wait until your home to share your trip on social media. According to my brother-in-law, who is a police officer, many home invasions occur after people announce that they are on vacation via facebook and other social media.
Do you have any travel tips to share?
Until next time,
I’m linking to:
Tutorials and Tips @ Home Stories A to Z
Latest posts by Mrs. Hines (see all)
- fun memories and the future - April 21, 2014
- 3 must have tips for accessorizing a leather couch - April 18, 2014
- 5 new uses for tin cans - April 14, 2014