I was recently asked by a young friend to help decorate her living room. The young newlywed would like to decorate her new space to reflect her family’s personality and taste while keeping in function in mind.
The industrious, young mother has already painted the walls a soft, neutral gray and would like to incorporate yellow and black into the color scheme.
After browsing home decor magazines, we found inspiration and the room started coming together.
The Design Plan:
1. I chose youthful and modern print with fun colors for the curtain panels that will flank the fireplace.
2. This console table will sit behind the sofa which separates the dining area from the living space. The table will serve double duty as a buffet as well as storage. Two table lamps will sit on the console.
3. Bringing black into the room with a rug grounds the space. The chevron pattern is youthful and sophisticated.
4. My friend desired a round table to soften the lines of the space. This table will sit next to the glider.
5. A fun floral print on the throw pillows integrates the color scheme. We’ll use the pillows on the sofa.
6. We will place open bookshelves on either side of the t.v. console for more storage. The open space provides plenty of room for baskets, as well as opens up the room visually.
7. My friend’s husband is a budding photographer, so I thought the tripod lamp was only fitting.
I’d also like to add a photo gallery to the focal wall to showcase her husband’s work.
Do you remember your first home as newlyweds?
Until next time,
by Sharon Hines
Latest posts by Mrs. Hines (see all)
- drowning in cat pee and $70 Target e-Card Giveaway - July 17, 2014
- recommended reading: on silliness, stories and staycations - July 7, 2014
- it’s the little things: laundry symbol chart - June 30, 2014