It all started with this pin from Anamu.
Well, really it started with a thorn in my side that is this modem and the tangled mess of cords that comes with it. I’ve tried to forget about it by tucking it in the corner of the desk behind desk accessories and decor. But, then the internet would lose connection or the t.v. would lose a signal, so we’d have to part the red sea to get to the modem and find those magical numbers, the password, that would restore all that was lost. Then it would just sit there, staring back at me in its monstrosity, until I finally put it back in place.
During these last few weeks with all of the home reorganization, I was trying to decide what to do with the big book box. I originally bought it to set on the coffee table and corral remote controls, but it just wasn’t practical. Then, in a light bulb moment, I decided to see if the modem would fit inside the book box. Yes, indeed it did. I immediately got to work, marking off where to drill the holes for the cords.
Well, the holes weren’t big enough. I tried to widen them a bit more, but it was something like one o’clock on the morning, and there wasn’t much I could do to muffle the drilling sound to keep from waking my sleeping family. Another light bulb moment! ( I know, right. Two in one night) There was a seam on the front side of the box. I tried to pry off the front at the seam, but that didn’t work. So, I got a saw and hacked off the front of the box and placed the modem inside.
I think I’ll be able to patch the holes with some putty and cover them up with terracotta paint. If not, I’ll come up with a cute, travel related patch. It’ll give the book some character as though it’s worn from its many trips around the world.
Until then, I’m very pleased with my new stylish modem cover, wearing its big letter “S” like Superman, except that the “S” really stands for Sharon. 😉
See you in class,
I’m sharing this project at