When I saw the outdated chair listed in an online selling group, I saw past the orange toned wood and blue moire fabric to the lovely shape and lines. And, I knew that a little paint and new fabric would take care of the rest.
So, I met the owner, loaded the chair into the backseat, and brought it home. That was last summer.
After we got our new wood floors, the chair became even more of an eyesore. It was time to carry out the vision I had all those months ago. Here is how I completed the accent chair reupholster and chalky paint makeover.
I gathered a small flathead screwdriver, a staple remover and some pliers and got to work removing the staples that held the fabric in place.
Tip: use a cloth or napkin to protect the wood when prying staples loose.
Next, I unscrewed the seat cushion
and proceeded to remove the staples and fabric.
Staple removal is a tedious and time-consuming job. It’s probably the most difficult part of the process.
Once the fabric was removed, I set it aside until later.
Now it was time for the fun part…painting. After wiping down the chair frame with a damp cloth, I painted the chair in Vintage which is a soft, pale blue.
Next, I mixed a little bit of Legacy (a vivid dark blue) with Yesteryear ( a cool gray), and painted it into the grooves of the chair for depth and dimension.
After that, I painted over everything with Yesteryear. I did not worry about full coverage since I wanted a layered effect. Next, I added a thin coat of Primitive which is a nice, warm gray.
Finally, I used my finger to rub Everlasting (white) on the edges of the chair to create a highlighting effect.
Now, it was time for waxing. I like to brush it on with a round brush,
then buff to a sheen with a soft, clean cloth.
I started with a coat of clear wax, then tinted the clear wax with a bit of dark wax for the second coat; giving the chair more depth and warmth.
Once the chair was painted, I couldn’t wait to see the new fabric in place.
Placing the original fabric wrong-side-down on the new fabric, and making sure to line it up so that the stripes were placed correctly, I traced around it to create a pattern.
Normally, I would use a fabric marker for tracing, but since the tracing lines wouldn’t be seen, I just grabbed the closest marker.
I cut out the fabric and stapled it in place; first on the seat, then the chair back.
Stapling the final layer of fabric on the chair back was difficult, so I stapled as much as I could then used hot glue to tack it in place.
I used hot glue to add the trim around the chair back, and stapled the trim onto the chair seat before screwing the seat back into place.
I could not be more thrilled with the results!
The layers of color, the texture and the depth created by the highlights
The new look is so fresh
and inviting, and fits in so well with my decor now.
Thank you to Americana Decor Chalky Finish paints for giving my chair a second chance.
If you have a hand-me-down or thrifted piece that doesn’t quite fit in with your decor, you can refurbish it with Americana Decor Chalky Finish, and enter it in their second chances contest. Just send pictures of your project to firstname.lastname@example.org for your chance to win.
$2000 cash and $500 worth of retail product
$500 cash and $500 worth of retail product
10 Honorable Mentions
$200 worth of retail product
Visit decoart.com/secondchances for official contest rules
Good luck, and I’ll see you in class.