Where do you fall on the great dining room debate? I personally could never not have a dining room.
Now, I understand feeling like it is wasted space. In fact, that is why we use our dining room as a study on a day-to-day basis.
Then, on occasions when we entertain I simply turn this make shift office space back into a dining room, starting with clearing the room of all things office
and adding back dining room decor, like setting a lamp in place of the printer.
Then, setting the table. I start by selecting a fabric remnant to serve as the table runner.
Next, I gather items that I think I might want to include in the centerpiece and start playing around with the arrangement.
Covering the candlesticks with hurricane sleeves,
tucking yaupon holly branches underneath the pumpkin,
and finally, turning under the raw edges of the fabric.
Once the centerpiece is complete, I set the table, turning my office back into a dining room.
I felt a bit like Cinderella’s fairy god mother waving her magic wand and transforming rags into something fit for a ball..
Style Tips for your Thanksgiving Table:
- A monochromatic color palette is simple yet sophisticated.
- Natural elements provide life and texture.
- Already melted candles lend a warm, authentic feel.
- Using an odd number of decor items, like pinecones, maintain balance.
- Mixing and matching table linens adds visual interest.
- Mixing vintage and modern pieces provides a collected, one-of-a-kind look.
(* denotes affiliate link)
- Table and chairs – Star Furniture many years ago
- Grain sack fabric remnant – *Decor Steals
- Hurricane sleeves – At Home ( formerly Garden Ridge)
- Candles – Walmart
- Milk glass candle holders – inherited, belonged to my grandmother
- Pinecones – collection from outdoors that I save and reuse year after year
- Yaupon Holly branches – clipped from outdoors
- White pumpkin – Trader Joe’s
- Round woven placemats – World Market
- Leaf placemats – bridal shower gift 18 years ago, *(similar)
- Gold goblets – Southern Living at Home, *(similar)
- White napkins – World Market
- Yellow, monogrammed napkins – gift *(similar)
- Ironstone plates/Royal Staffordshire Wilkinson LTD/Wheat pattern – inherited, belonged to my grandmother (on eBay)
- Blue and White lamp – Marshall’s
See you in class,